Cemetery Preservation Program
“Cemeteries are among the most valuable of historic resources. They are reminders of various settlement patterns, such as villages, rural communities, urban centers, and ghost towns. Cemeteries can reveal information about historic events, religions, lifestyles and genealogy” -- Texas Historical Commission.
The Hill Country Archeological Association collaborates with individuals, the Kerr County Historical Commissions, Genealogical and Historical Societies, and the Texas Historical Commission to record and preserve historic cemeteries.
HCAA members assist by:
- Identifying and mapping unknown and known cemetery locations on the Texas Historical Commission Atlas.
- Tracking cemetery conditions related to protection and endangerment.
- Applying for Historical Texas Cemetery designations and Historical Markers where appropriate.
- Researching cemetery histories and ownership.
- Promoting cemetery preservation efforts.
If you are interested in joining the HCAA Cemetery Program Committee, or assisting with cemetery surveys, contact Terry Farley at firstname.lastname@example.org